Re: [OM] OM snow kit

Subject: Re: [OM] OM snow kit
From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 15:22:11 -0500
On Mon, 8 Mar 1999 07:32:45 -0800, srp <cyberoptix@xxxxxxxx> jammed all night,
and by sunrise was overheard remarking:

> 1) Is the OM2n cold resistant enough?
> Early AM temps may easily be in the 10's-20's F.

I used to think the electronic-shutter OMs were fine, having used them in
typical South Jersey winter weather for years. But we haven't had much
in the way of extemes here lately. A few recent escapades with my OM-4 in
colder weather (once here during an unusual cold snap, a few times in
Germany) and I would definitely take a manual body next time, if it's an
option for you. I don't think this is anything specifically to do with
the OM line, but rather, the behavior of batteries in that kind of
weather.

The OM-4, in particular, seems to get "brain freeze" in cold enough
weather. It's not exactly like the low battery behavior, but similar
enough that I would be the batteries are dropping a bit in that kind of
cold. I haven't had enough practice with this to offer better advice --
could be your choice of batter technology would make some difference (I
think I had a Lithium in the OM-4; I tend to use them because they last a
long time in use and practically forever as spares in the camera bag).

> I'm hoping for a yes here, as I'd prefer to take the 2n over the OM4 or OM1n?
> Used the OM1n in all of my previous winter outings so know it can take the
> extremes.

In that kind of cold, if I only took one body, it would be the OM-1.

--
Dave Haynie  | V.P. Technology, Met@box Infonet, AG |  http://www.metabox.de
Be Dev #2024 | NB851 Powered! | Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, PIOS One