Re: [OM] 50mm / f1.2 MC Zuiko

Subject: Re: [OM] 50mm / f1.2 MC Zuiko
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 00:41:21 +0000
Warning - those thoroughly bored by 50mm lens comparisons read no further - you
have
been warned!

Oh yes indeedy!

Going by some published lens test figures, I have come to the following
conclusions.  In terms of sharpness, the 50mm f1.2 is superior to all non macro
50mm
lenses -1.8,1.4 - at every equivalent aperture.  in other words f2 - f16.  The
figures indicate it has very even sharpness from centre to edge.

Going by the set of figures mentioned previously, I averaged the resolution
figures
given for centre and edge performance - at all the equivalent apertures
(f2-f16) -
for each MC 50mm standard lens.  I then worked out the hange in performance
from the centre to the edge for each lens for both high and low resolution
targets.
The results were thus:

 High contrast
F1.2    -9
F1.4    -20
F1.8    -14

 Low contrast
F1.2  -8.3
F1.4  -17.8
F1.8  -21

The other criteria by which the F1.2 shines is contrast.  I gleaned the
following
figures from the Modern Photography lens test results at Lee Hawkin's site.
Not
only does the f1.2 appear to have the best contrast figures amongst 50mm lenses
but
it has the best figures of any Zuiko!

f1.2 MC
Contrast (%) at 30 lines/mm
f/             1.2        2        2.8      4        5.6      8         11
16
Centre: Hi    58  Hi    60  Hi  64  Hi  68  Hi  76  Hi  78  Hi  75  Hi  67
Corner: Med 26  Med 30  Hi  44  Hi  60  Hi  73  Hi  74  Hi  66  Hi  81

f1.4 MC
Contrast (%) at 30 lines/mm
f/             1.4       2           2.8       4       5.6        8       11
      16
Centre: Med 41  Med 45  Med 47  Med 56  Hi 59   Med 57  Hi 55   Med 48
Corner: Med 30  Med 35  Med 40    Hi 45   Hi 48  Med 42  Hi 41   Med 33

f1.8 MC
Contrast (%) at 30 lines/mm
f/                1.8     2.8      4        5.6        8        11      16
Centre:    Hi    48  Hi 60   Hi 67   Hi 60   Med 57  Hi 54   Hi 50
Corner:    Low 24  Hi 39   Hi 56   Hi 62      Hi 63  Hi 60   Hi 56

As George pointed out from experience - which these figures would seem to
support -
the f1.2 seems to really shift into high gear around f5.6 & 8.

As far as experience goes I have used an MC f1.8 an SC f1.4 and the f1.2.  The
latter is the only one I still use for photography - the f1.4 makes a great
slide
loupe.  I sold the f1.8 with an OM10 but should have kept it for loupe duties
;-)

I won't mention that the richness of the reflected colours from the MC seem on
par
with the 180mm f2 - that would really upset some people so I won't mention it.

Giles