Re: [OM] OM snow kit

Subject: Re: [OM] OM snow kit
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 15:21:01 +1000
"srp" wrote:

> Early AM temps may easily be in the 10's-20's F.

It won't get that cold in a decent tent with people sleeping in it.

> Any tips on snow scene exposure

Use your camera's meter to set an "incident" light setting in the
morning and when conditions change, and work in manual. The OM-1
is the most convenient camera for this because you don't need to
even turn the meter on before shooting. You can meter on a medium
tone tent or backpack, or on white snow and adjust 2.5 stops up.
If you want detail in the snow itself, underexpose by half a stop.

> [will the OM-2N survive the cold?]
> I'm hoping for a yes here, as I'd prefer to take the 2n over the OM4
> or OM1n?

Assuming you're not using flash, take the OM-1. It is only a little
inconvenient to do without a spot meter. The OM-4 has a mechanical 1/60
but with ISO 100 film you'd need an ND filter; its tiny little exposure
compensation dial and spot button are probably useless with mitts on.
The OM-2's only advantage would be if you preferred the centre-weighted
plus compensation method of metering.