[OM] fast macros

Subject: [OM] fast macros
From: kelton <kelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 99 16:56:52 -0800
>Why on earth would you plan not to use such a lens for other than macro
>use?  Any of
>the lenses you mentioned are superb for general use.  These lenses are
>costly so
>why would you not want to utilise their superb performance for all types of
>photography?  This is one of the nice things about such lenses, they can
>be used for
>general photography so their high cost can be partly offset by not needing
>acquire other lenses of comparable focal length.  The 90mm f2, for
>instance, can
>stand in for the 85mm f2, 100mm f2 and 100mm f2.8 in general photography
>and for the
>50mm f3.5 and F2 macros in macro photography.
>One of the characteristics of most lenses is that their optimum
>performance is
>usually achieved when they are stopped down one or two stops.  So for
>example, the
>50mm f2 is likely to out perform the 50mm f3.5 at f3.5.  I have certainly
>used my
>90mm f2 for macro at f2.8, especially when shooting hand held to maximise
>shutter
>speed.

OK! OK! Stop, already! You sold me on the fast macros! (Dang!) And here I was
thinking that with such a reasonable bunch of people, I might get a few kind
souls to say, "Nah, save your money, you don't really need macro glass that
fast." You people just won't be happy till every last dime is spent on pricey
über-Zuikos, will you?

--Kelton