[OM] labels -- final comments; Intenscreen metering; DoF clarification

Subject: [OM] labels -- final comments; Intenscreen metering; DoF clarification
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 05:45:26 -0800
The points being made about labeling switches have rather missed the point I was
trying to make.

I never said that switches shouldn't be labeled in some way. Why shouldn't they?
How are you otherwise supposed to know what they do?

The point I was trying to get at (and which I thought I made clear -- "he said,
testily") is that many Japanese products of the '60s, '70s, and '80s had two
little icons showing pushbutton switches "up" and "down" and what it did at each
position. As I pointed out, this is unnecessary, because most people intuitively
know that pushing a button activates the associated function.

This excessive labeling is simply stupid, and has nothing to do with legal
liability or labeling ladders -- which are labels of an altogether different
sort.

If you're trying to focus critically, you _don't_ want a focusing screen with a
45 degree split image. The only purpose of a slanted rangefinder is that it
allows focusing on either vertical or horizontal lines. It is otherwise _less_
accurate, because it is more difficult to see when diagonal lines are correctly
aligned.

As for exposure... the focusing screen _obviously_ has no effect on OTF
readings, or those made via a cell in the camera body. Manual exposures on the
OM-4 are made via the latter.

I confirmed this by substituting the clear 1-6 screen for the frosted screen I
normally use. There was _no_ difference in manual exposure.

To paraphrase Mr. Lizard -- "You need a new salesman!"

"At subject distances much less than hyperfocal distance, two lenses of
different focal length will exhibit the same depth of field when using the same
aperture and magnification."

This _should_ read:

"...lenses of different focal length at the same distance from the subject will
exhibit the same depth of field when using the same aperture diameter and final
image magnification."