Re: [OM] fast macros

Subject: Re: [OM] fast macros
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:00:04 -0800
C.H.Ling wrote:

>Concerning fast Zuiko Macro 90/2 and 50/2 I found that at long distance (a
>34 floors building at around 50m from my house, it is my always testing
>target), 100/2 has higher resolution than 90/2 at both F2 and F4 and my
>newly acquired 55/1.2 has higher resolution than the 50/2 when both at F4.
>
>The above two Zuikos Macro I once own (yes both sold) were in mint
>condition so I think the result was not affected by dog lenses.

C.H., just to remind you that a true macro lens performance is optimized
to be best at _close_ distances, whereas the 100/2 and 55/1.2 are likely
optimized for best performance at infinity.

IMHO, with the 50/2 and 90/2 macros Olympus did an admirable job of
balancing these contradictory requirements, but I bet that your above
results are "by design" rather than an accident.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx