Re: [OM] AF Macro 50mm/F2.8?

Subject: Re: [OM] AF Macro 50mm/F2.8?
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 23:03:39 +0200
>While processing the data sheets for the AF/PF lenses for the e-SIF, I was
>kindof pleasantly surprised that the Olympus Lens AF Macro 50mm/F2.8 has a
>life size magnification ratio. It focuses to 20cm while the 50mm Macro
>Zuikos focus to 23cm. I was wondering if any list member has any experience
>with this AF macro lens and how it compares to the Zuikos; also - does AF or
>PF on the 707 or 101 really work at this high magnification? How rare or
>expensive is this lens?
>
>Hans

I traded this lens, which was a shelfwarmer in a shop for many years and
got cheaper and cheaper with the years, last year for a Pentax-M 1:2 35mm.
The lens is said to be excellent, my experience are too few to confirm its
very good reputation, but the pictures I have taken till now looked very
good. With AF, it functions very well, with PF, the thread is a little bit
too steep, but it works (with macro, you often choose a distance and focus
by moving the camera anyway). I think the lens is rare, because my specimen
has a serial number a little bit over 101000, but not necessary expensive
as you can see with the history of my lens. In comparison with Zuikos, you
can say the lack of the label Zuiko is only marketing (seems to be a bad
omen for Olympus to omit the Zuiko label), it's a full grown Olympus 35mm
lens.

Matthias