Re: [OM] Zuiko 55mm f/1.2 Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 55mm f/1.2 Lens
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 22:34:54 -0800
Greg Palman wrote:

>Would like any comments about the above lens...ref image quality,
>resolution, distortion, flare, etc.

I have this lens.  On paper, it looks inferior to the new 50/1.2.
Moreover, it's only available single-coated, and is rather large
in size.  Over the years on this list, the 55/1.2 was frequently
dismissed, and maybe deservedly so, since by today's clinical
standards, it may not withstand the scrutiny of scientific lens
testing.

However for me personally, whatever its imperfections, the 55/1.2
continues to be one of my all-time favorites.  Sure, wide open it
may not be as sharp as the 50/1.2.  Never the less, closed down a
stop, and esp. in mid-apertures, this lens produces very sharp and
contrasty picts which have this very special, almost inexplicable
"magic glow".  To me, the 55/1.2 somehow always manages to "hold
the pict together", regardless of subject or lighting conditions.

Oh well, maybe the 55/1.2 is an acquired taste... :-)

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx