[OM] Fort Worth Camera Show

Subject: [OM] Fort Worth Camera Show
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 01:03:41 EST
I did a second day visit to the Fort Worth Camera Show.  This 15 year old show
was once in 3 exhibit halls, but has shrunk to 1/2 of a hall this year.  Paul
Van Tuyl showed up in the opening hour and disappeared, much to the dismay of
potential sellers who found me ready to buy their stuff (incl. a 21mm f/3.5
Zuiko) on Day 2!  I was even able to unload an extra 24mm f/2.8 Zuiko to
someone I overheard asking for one at a table.  Funny how Paul and at least
one OM List subscriber passed up LNIB and Exc+ OM accessories.  I thought it
was pretty fair pickings, although it took some digging to find them.

Had some interesting conversations with vendors at closing.  Shutterbug has
increased their advertising rates so much over the last few years that it has
made it close to unattractive to advertise there anymore.  Probably accounts,
in no small way, for the premium prices being asked for advertisers.  There is
continued movement of vendors from the camera shows to the Internet, due to
poor attendance at the shows.  More than anything, they are there to buy, with
low expectations of doing any kind of significant selling.

Gary Reese
on the road in Dallas, TX