Re: [OM] Auto Focus lens dirt cheap

Subject: Re: [OM] Auto Focus lens dirt cheap
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 01:39:53 EST
George writes:

You wrote this to the OM List, perhaps in error, but I'll respond to everyone,
anyways.

> Those prices are certainly cheap! At least 200nder e-Bay's recent prices,
>  as far as I can tell. (And I know because I just bought - excuse me- "won"
>  77 and lenses there!) I wish you had found this store a month ago!  I
really
>  didn't do that badly, though, I had done my homework first. But these
prices
>  you quote are great.

This is an example of how the Internet is putting traditional fixed location
(i.e., store fronts) at a disadvantage in selling.  Figure that the store has
had these for 10 years and they haven't moved, despite progressively deeper
and deeper discounts over the original sticker prices.  (They also have other
early generation auto focus equipment in their sale case).  I commonly see
35-70mm f/3.5~4.5 Olympus AF zooms (typically VERY overpriced) for the
OM77/88, but rarely the other stuff.

I did find a 10- condition OM-88 with the above zoom in Normal, IL at a nearly
defunct camera store.  They quoted $150, I believe.  It was overhauled but the
owner never came in to claim it.  Across the street was a wonderful used book
store with the proprietor having a Master's Degree in Photography.  I traded a
Walker Evans "Havana 1932" and other trade fodder for Edward Weston's
"Daybooks," vol. 1.  I also got a lead on "The Olympus Way" for $12, but it
was sold.

> Have you hit the snowstorm yet?

LOL!  Imagine racing to see as many shops as possible before the big storm
actually hits?  In Springfield, MO we lingered too long and I had to drive at
night through the driving snow and slush to almost Tulsa, OK.  Then we linged
too long in Tulsa and I had to drive threw slush till Okmulgee, OK.  A few
days back we also lingered too long in Kalamazoo, MI and got stuck driving
snow packed roads upon reaching Indiana.  In all cases there were some scarry
accidents along the way.

Not much time for photography, although I did get snowy Bison shots in
Traverse City, MI, and some appealing family pictures, all with the IS-10.

Finally, I got my hands on a Minolta Auto Bellows III with tilt and shift
capability.  It kind of puts the Olympus Auto Bellows to shame.  Came with a
macro copy stand that looks like it might adapt to the Olympus bellows with
focusing rail.  Also came with 25mm and 100mm lenses, that, along with a
12.5mm and a 50mm offers a wider range of magnifications (incl. tilt and shift
at infinity with the 100mm!) than the OLY.

Gary Reese
on the road in Dallas, TX