[OM] Re: Camera stores again - was - TAMPA FL/camera store winge

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera stores again - was - TAMPA FL/camera store winge
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 19:56:57 -0500
Jay Maynard wrote,

<<I'm not at all surprised to see the local camera store as a dying breed. I
wish it were otherwise, but I don't see how.>>

I feel your pain.
I owned a few clothing stores in Perth Australia a few years back and
went bust the third year.  I (we) actually did better than many of the
local aussie folks who went out the year before.
I put this down to the buying power of the big department stores.

As far as camera stores go, I worked in New York City in the seventies
when I bought my OM1(OM content) I walked down 34th street (or was it 33rd?)
between 6th and 7th Avenue and went from shop to shop with the lowest price
of the hour so the other guy could beat it.  I believe that the volume
allowed the close competition and price wars.  I also believe that it led to
the B&H system of buying photo equipment, as you stated in your post.
I hate it now!
Ritz is about as good as it gets if money matters to you.  Quantaray lenses
anyone?

Charlie L

Ps: Abner's, Cameraland, Fulmer photo, Cameras Film Etc.
Prepare to be underwhelmed.