Re: [OM] re: TAMPA FL/camera store winge

Subject: Re: [OM] re: TAMPA FL/camera store winge
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:02:26 EST
In a message dated 3/15/99 7:29:57 PM EST, jmaynard@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I'm not at all surprised to see the local camera store as a dying breed. I
 wish it were otherwise, but I don't see how.

        I, too, wish it were otherwise, but it's been going on for a long time
with
mail order "stores" taking the business from established stores where people
go to check things out, only to leave and order thru the mail. Not only with
cameras. With any product. We've all done it, whether consciously or not. We
don't think it's wrong to shop for an automobile at several dealers, then buy
from the lowest priced dealer, do we? Of course not! That's what's called free
enterprise.

        Reminds me of the "60 Minutes" report on Wal- Mart that shows how they
move
into an area and sell items- bicycles, lawn mowers, etc. for less price than
the hardware store in the area buys it wholesale. We may wish for the "old
days" but the bottom line is that the buyer- whether it's a lawn mower, or
camera system, ends up paying less, and that's what matters most to most
customers.

George S.