RE: [OM] IS-3 lens test.

Subject: RE: [OM] IS-3 lens test.
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:54:57 +0100
-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: George M. <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Till: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Datum: den 15 mars 1999 01:50
Ämne: [OM] IS-3 lens test.

George M quoted from the IS-3 lens test in Pop Photo:
>" A combination of conventional focussing (moving the front group)
plus
>internal focussing helps the lens obtain a high level of sharpness.
>This sharpness is held thruout the zoom range...."
>
>"But what really makes this zoom shine is the fact that it is not a
true
>zoom, but rather a 'varifocal' lens- one in which the focus shifts as
>you zoom."

Do they mean that it is an advantage to have a varifocal zoom lens in
an AF camera rather than a true zoom?

>"...we wanted to know why this lens outperformed so many others in
our
>SQF tests ... Olympus designers realized that the unique appeal of
the
>IS-3 would be linked to higher than average image quality.  As one of
>the IS-3s designers told us 'the lens on the IS-3 must outperform
most
>35mm lenses.' ... it would appear Olympus has achieved that goal."
>
>"The lens, as the centerpiece of the camera, again reveals the
multiple
>personalities of the IS-3.  The lens ... is an outstanding performer.
>We were especially impressed with the very low flare exhibited ...
>without a hood no less.

I think most of us would agree that there are two Zuiko zooms that are
in a class of their own - the 35-80/2.8 (of course) and the
35-105/3.5~4.5. Maybe we now can add a third zoom to this performance
class, namely the 35-180/4.5~5.6 zoom of the IS-3(000)? Although not
being labelled "Zuiko" it is still a zoom lens that was developed and
is being manufactured by Olympus alone, something which cannot be said
about the two Cosina made OM2000 zooms despite their being labelled
"Zuiko".

>In the field: Test slides sharp and contrasty; ... flare remarkably
well
>controlled at 35 and 85. With the (28 and 300mm) converters there was
>some loss of quality.  The 28 held up well in the center but was soft
at
>the edges at all apertures. The 300mm had even sharpness center-edge,
>but showed slightly less image contrast.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is meant by "the 300 mm had even
sharpness center-edge"? Is it not common that zooms are sharp in the
center?

Per Nordenberg
Kolmården, Sweden