Re: [OM] Tripod, Ballhead suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] Tripod, Ballhead suggestions
From: "George M." <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 20:04:18 -0800
Wayne, Denton;

I've had a Gitzo carbon-mountaineer for about 1 1/2 to 2 years.
Everything you've heard about them is true, such as:  It is extrememly
light, yet solid as a rock, Little to no vibration. Much more solid than
my big Bogen 30xx.  The legs are a pain to use. The twist mechanism
requires most times that you hold one section while twisting another.  2
weeks ago, in Yosemite, the adhesive holding the upper section to the
next section and it's twist release came loose and everything below that
section came off in my hand. I had heard (via the net) that this was a
possibility when I bought the thing.  I bought it anyway partly due to
speaking to the Gitzo rep in person.  He assured me that they'd fixed
that problem, although he didn't know if the particular unit I was
buying was before or after the fix.  He also assured me that even if
mine did break, they would repair or replace it free.  He was right at
least about the second point.  I am about to send mine back to New
Jersey and they have promised to send me a brand new one.

I hope to soon put an Arca B-1 on it.  Altho it is not perfect, I can't
seem to find any thing better.  The Really Right Stuff guy Really Pissed
me off when I talked to him on the phone.  I too wanted to use his
products with the Zuiko 350/2.8 and other Oly products. When I
approached him about some of the 'special' plates that may be necessary,
he basically told me I am a dinosaur and he did not intend to support
Olympus products if they were any different from his special Nikon and
Canon products. EG:  The hole pattern/size on the 350/2.8's tripod
mount. Unless it matches exactly one of the Ns or Cs he could care less.

George