[OM] Why would someone pay too much for something on eBay? Here's why

Subject: [OM] Why would someone pay too much for something on eBay? Here's why I have...
From: "Peter S. Halpern" <phalpern@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 08:50:46 -0500
It comes down to simple economics. The only time I will overpay for an item
is when I have multiple items by one seller and want to get everything at
once.

For instance, I am buying three a bunch of filters right now.  I need the
following:
Filters for 30.5mm  (for the Sigma 600 f8)
The Cokin System A Starter Kit
Cokin Speed 216
Cokin Super Speed 217
Star 8 056
Cold Diffuser 088
Warm Diffuser 089
Sepia 005

Lo and behold!  I find half of all of that on eBay.  Yipppeee!!!  For the
Starter Kit, Sepia, Diffuser 1 (083), Star 8, and Speed the total of all my
bids is $50 (each is in a separate auction, but by the same seller).  Now,
considering that $50 is the cost of a Starter Kit and Sepia from B&H...
that's a good deal.  It's like getting the Diffuser, Star 8, and Speed for
free.

BUT!!!!

I over bid on the Sepia.  I spent $20 for it.  WAY OVER normal price.  That
filter new is only $7.25 from B&H.  BUT  I get everything in one parcel, one
shipping cost.  It simplifies the transaction that I would have to do.  So,
I overbid on one item.  The TOTAL of the whole is still better... more
synergistic in price than as parts.

And that is why some of us sometimes spend too much on eBay, but you have to
agree that this scenario makes sense.

Best regards,
Peter