Re: [OM] Happy Lens Mounts

Subject: Re: [OM] Happy Lens Mounts
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 10:17:29 -0600
>> I've
>> noticed that a glance at the lens mount surface can quickly tell you the
>> amount of use a camera or lens may have seen.

Use or abuse?  Mine look pretty good because I have always been very
careful to make sure the surfaces are clean before mounting a lens and also
making sure that I have everything lined up as part of the docking
procedure.  Nothing trashes a mount faster than jamming the levers/pins
into the surface.

>> Is it helpful to ... use some kind of light lubricant on the lens
>> mount surface?

Nope.  I've tried ultralight machine oil, petroleum jelly, teflon and
several other varieties of lubricants (no not KY).  Almost all lubricants
attract/hold dirt/dust and whatever other crud that is generated inside the
camera (it aint a clean environment-folks).  I always ended up cleaning the
junk off the mounts constantly. One day, my father-who retired from his job
as a tool maker and prototyper for a bearing company, took a look at my
camera and made the observation that the surfaces of the zuiko lens mount
and OM lens mount were made of a material that naturally slid.  The metal
is soft, so it does scratch easily, and it does wear from use--some of that
dust actually comes from the mount.  He also observed that a proper seal
required direct contact between the surfaces and a lubricant would actually
alter the tight tolerances.

So, I haven't used any lubricants on the lens mounts for probably six years
now and the mounts are in better shape now than ever before.  Gentleness is
always the key.

Ken

Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography