[OM] Re:Super FP Flash (as I understand it)

Subject: [OM] Re:Super FP Flash (as I understand it)
From: wiliam.wagenaar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 09:49:07 +0100

Hello Folks,

I just wanted to add my 2 pence about this subject. Not that i own a F280 or a
compatible camera, but I believe I read manuals an information carefully.

There is nothing mystical about the F280 flash and Super FP flashing. Consider
the F280 to act as a light-bulb.
- The moment you press the shutter, the lamp goes on. (The fact that the lamp
pulsates at a high-frequency does not natter too much)
- The exposure starts and daylight and the light from the F280 are used
together.
- I don'tknow of any way to calculate the ratio, because I do not know what the
output power of the F280 is during exposure.
- When enough light has hit the film, the shutte will close and the F280 (light
bulb) goes out.

The exposure time will never be longer than the exposure would have been without
F280 flash. You can use the meter indication in your camera to see how long that
will be approximately.

Shipman has a little table mentioning the GN of the F280 at different shutter
speeds. As one can se the shutterspeed is the only factor at high speed Super FP
flash. You can manually determine the lighting ratio by using this table. I
don't have the table on hand right now, but let's assume the following Guide
numbers:
1/1000    GN 3
1/500     GN 6
1/250     GN 12
1/125     GN 24

Example:
- Using daylight-only the camera calculates 1/500 at F8.
- If you add super FP flash, the camera will close the shutter a little
faster,but let's still assume 1/500
- GN 6 and F8 should give correct flash lighting up to about 0,75 metres
- Change shutter to F11 and camera will indicate 1/250.
- Add super FP flash and camera will close shutter faster also, but let's assume
1/250
- GN 16 and F 11 should give correct flash lighting up to about 1,5 metres.

Please reming, Super FP flash is meant to add a little fill flash in daytime
photography when the face of your model is in the shadow and you still want her
face lighted correctly without burning out the background in the sun. I think
the examples in the Olympus sales folders are quite explanatory.

As I said, just my 2 pence.
Wiliam