Re: [OM] Why would someone pay too much for something on eBay? Here's w

Subject: Re: [OM] Why would someone pay too much for something on eBay? Here's why I ...
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:36:08 -0800
On Fri, 19 Mar 1999 02:16, Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>What's missing from the equation is that cost-of-item is only part of the
>question. Other factors most people consider, implicitly or explicitly:
>
>       - The impulse buy.
>       - Ease of purchase.
>       - Local service.
>       - Cost of research.
>       - Patience.
>
> You have to know there's practically always another one coming along.

What I don't understand is given that eBay list all their "offerings"
all at once, why do the same items go for vastly different prices?
What would cause someone to bid a high price for one specific item
while another of the exact same item gets very few bids and gets sold
at a very low price.  I missed out on a Zuiko 35/2.8 earlier this week
that went for around $35 (because I don't have time to baby sit the
bidding around closing time), but other 35/2.8's are bid to around $120,
and these are all listed as available at the same time (sometimes just
a few items away from each other).

Currently there is a glut of OM-10's listed, but some are going for
as low as $70 while others are getting bidded up to $150; for almost
exactly the same thing.  So what caused people to overlook one item
and compete for another of the same thing?

I am totally confused by this whole eBay process.  As someone else
pointed out previously, all the bidding happens around the 5 minutes
before closing time.
        -Dan