Re: [OM] Avoiding X-Rays

Subject: Re: [OM] Avoiding X-Rays
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 00:49:31 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, John Hudson wrote:

> A much easer option is to buy one of those lead lined  film carrying bags. I
> have one which measures about 10" by 12", carries  24 or more cannisters and
> is rated for at least 1000 ISO. If in doubt I would double bag my films and
> include them with my cargo hold luggage.  I would not accept for one second
> any assertion that FedEx does not x ray in or out of country shipments!

     Lead bags are useless with the new CTX series machines. One of the
designers of these machines was on another list I frequent, and he
distinctly told of how scanner personnel are instructed to simply dial up
much more power until they can see through your bags, thereby exposing
your film to far more radiation. This has been repeated in several
publications, corroborating the story. You may not accept FedEx's word,
unlike National Geographic (and scores of other pros using it daily
without problems) but the lead bags are useless.

                                Amazed,
                           *= Doris Fang =*