Re: [OM] Avoiding X-Rays

Subject: Re: [OM] Avoiding X-Rays
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 16:24:33 EST
In a message dated 3/19/99 10:38:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jahudson@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<< A much easer option is to buy one of those lead lined  film carrying bags.
 have one which measures about 10" by 12", carries  24 or more cannisters and
 is rated for at least 1000 ISO. If in doubt I would double bag my films and
 include them with my cargo hold luggage.  I would not accept for one second
 any assertion that FedEx does not x ray in or out of country shipments! >>

I agree that I wouldn't necessarily take FedEx on their word. But you
definitely do NOT want to check your film in with your luggage. Within the
past year or two airports in the U.S. have started using a new x-ray system
for checked baggage. Apparently it does a low-level scan, and if it sees
something suspicious, will use extremely high doses of radiation to take a
closer look. None of the currently available film shield bags will protect
your film from these machines, although I understand there are some new ones
either just introduced, or about to be introduced, which supposedly will work.

Your only really safe bet is to hand carry your film and have it hand
inspected at the gate.

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI