Re: [OM] Why would someone pay too much for something on eBay? Here's w

Subject: Re: [OM] Why would someone pay too much for something on eBay? Here's why I ...
From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 01:57:14 -0500
On Fri, 19 Mar 1999 09:56:57 -0500, "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
jammed all night, and by sunrise was overheard remarking:

> <<Local service. If my OM-1 had problems back in '75, I would
>   have taken it back to Olden's, necessitating a trip to NYC with
>   my Dad (since I couldn't ride my 10-speed that far) or a
>   shipment. Some want it to be as close to the neighborhood as
>   possible, and will pay for that.>>

> I bought my OM1 at Oldens around the same time.
> At the time I was working on 23rd street and loved to
> take that stroll up to "the camera district" on a spring day.

Yeah -- it was like Disneyland for a Photo enthusiast. In the years that
followed, I spent some around the area. My best friend's father ran a
small publishing company somewhere around Madison and 45th, so we had a
base of operations (though Scott went for Pentax rather than Olympus).

> Do you remember how much you paid for your OM1?
> I keep thinking $175.  But I am guessing.

I couldn't even guess. I recall the MSRP at around $250 or so, but even
that's kind of fuzzy. I had been following the OM-1 in every possible
photo publication I got my hands on at the time (age 14-15) for a year or
more. My Dad was paying, and here I was in Olden's actually getting to
take home the finest piece of human engineering I had ever held in my hot
hands. Price didn't make a lasting impression (on the other hand, I paid
out of my own pocket for every other piece in the system, starting with
money I made washing windows, to today designing computer systems).

> Mine came with the 50mm 1.8 ev case and matching neck strap.
> It is still the best stuff I have ever owned. all still vg cond.

Unfortunately, my OM-1 was stolen in 1984. It took a few years, but I
saved up and bought an OM-4 when I was in Japan in '86. You could still
get decent prices there, with the duty free I paid about what you'd pay
in NYC, but it was 100x more fun. Of course, that was at 260
yen/dollar...

I recently bought another OM-1, I have been using nothing else since.
It's nice to come home again. And to re-assert that the OM-4 was the only
real use I had for automation most of the time, thanks to the multi-spot
feature.

--
Dave Haynie  | V.P. Technology, Met@box AG |  http://www.metabox.de
Be Dev #2024 | NB851 Powered! | Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, PIOS One