Re: [OM] Tripod, Ballhead suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] Tripod, Ballhead suggestions
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 12:30:21 -0800
>ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> << >>I hope to soon put an Arca B-1 on it.  Altho it is not perfect, I can't
>>  seem to find any thing better.   >>
>>
>> Gee, What's not perfect about the Arca?  Other than the price?
>> BW
>>
>From: "George M." <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>The fact that if you don't tighten the QR plate, the plate, camera and
>lens can slide out and crash to the ground.

That's right! I played with them for a while, and decided to sell them.
Except for the fact that this particular QR system comes on a well-regarded
ball-head, I can't believe there are so many praising it! I think it's
okay, but at least 40nob appeal, and is IMHO overrated and overpriced.

I've been pretty happy with the Bogen/Manfrotto 3270/3271 combo. I
originally got the 3275/410 Mini-Gear Head, which has the 3270 QR mechanism
as part of its casting. So then I did everything else I owned with
3270/3271 stuff, and couldn't be happier.

So, the RRS or Kirk QR base costs what, $100 or more? And the plates cost
$50? B&H sells the 3270 for $24, and the plates are $10. The difference in
price on a half-dozen sets will pay for a decent lens!

On the other hand, the RRS/Kirk/Arca-Swiss finish is nicer (anodized vs.
painted), and the plates are tiny -- but the tinyness means the camera
won't sit on the plate without tipping. An OM body balances on the
(admittedly overly huge) 3270 plate, so you don't brass the corners and
edges.

The best thing about the Arca-Swiss system is the availability of
customized plates that have anti-rotation blocks for various items. I put
my own anti-rotation blocks on 3271 plates with some 1/4" stock aluminum
and #4 countersunk screws. It isn't beautiful, but it isn't exactly ugly,
either, and it gets the job done.

I also bought a 3265 grip ball head, and did some surgery to remove it's
built-in QR and graft a 3270 onto it. Works like a charm. You need to drill
out the 3270 threaded hole and counter-sink it, and you need to saw off a
lump of aluminum on the 3265. I also drilled two holes into the top of the
3265 at right angles, and put a matching locator pin through the 3270 to
provide anti-rotation. With a hex key, I can now rotate the 3270 90 degrees
if I like, but I normally use it with the lever in the same direction as
the ball-head release lever. I'll do this conversion for a small fee if you
don't have the tools or skills.

The biggest problem I've had with the 3270/3271 is that unless you position
it carefully, it will stick out far enough in front of the OM body to
interfere with some lenses, notably the Zuiko 500/8, and probably many
third-party lenses. You can mount the plates "backwards" (they have an
arrow on the bottom marked "LENS") to avoid this problem, or you can remove
the rubber screw keeper to get another 3/4" or so.

But what the heck am I doing here -- putting down snob-appeal to
Zuikoholics? :-) Please forgive me, and ignore everything I've written, and
go out and get an Arca-Swiss and the custom OM RRS or Kirk plates! That's a
fitting, snobbish system to go along with the snobbish OM System! It's only
money! :-)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229