[OM] meteor lens

Subject: [OM] meteor lens
From: kelton <kelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 99 09:25:35 -0800
Well, John, the main reason a 24 f/2 wouldn't be the first lens I'd
purchase for meteor showers is the experience of a fellow amateur
astrophotographer, who purchased one and found it, in his words,
"entirely unacceptable" for this purpose. Granted, this was his *opinion*
with *one lens*, not a scientific test, but he thought the abberations in
the lens made pinpoint stars an impossibility. He sold his, and his
experience spooked me. My additional concern would be that, even if the
Zuiko 24/2 were a fantastic performer, the images would be small and
therefore faint. You see the difficulty: each degree of sky that's
included means the meteor that *does* get recorded becomes that much less
impressive. What I really want, you see, is a wide-angle-telephoto (heh,
heh); but given the imperatives of physics, I'm looking for the ideal
compromise. I didn't see you recommending the 35f/2, is that a deliberate
omission? Do you think the 35/2 would *not* do a good job at this task?
Or were you simply going for the options that showed more sky?