Re: [OM] Re: Early OM1 (non MD)

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Early OM1 (non MD)
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:51:25 GMT
On Thu, 25 Mar 1999 02:19:01 EST, HI100@xxxxxxx wrote:

>       I recently bought a working but pretty rough OM1 non MD as a parts
> camera.
>Amongst other things the penta-prism needs re-silvering. Looking through
>prices I realised these have become more valuable than later (more functional
>) OM1's (because of there scarcity value? ).  Does anybody have any thoughts
>on whether I should put some time into doing a careful restoration? I
>originally was going to use it strictly for spares. Are these really rare and
>need preservation for posterity ??
>
>Tim Hughes
>hi100@xxxxxxx

Tim,

The only technical difference between the MD and non-MD OM'1 is the
different bottom plate. And many (but not all!) of the MD-OM's do have
a small MD sign glued at the front.
Consequently the best way to get a nice non-MD OM-1 would be to find a
handsome MD-OM1 without that little sign and replace the bottom plate
with that of your camera. Maybe this was done already with your camera
- nobody can tell that...
Your counterfeit non-MD will not be worth much more than a MD is, but
some collectors definitely want to have all different versions of all
OM's ever made....
I think that re-silvering a pentaprism or mirror cannot be justified,
speaking in terms of value.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.