[OM] multi-coating

Subject: [OM] multi-coating
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 05:26:46 -0800
Multi-coating has no direct effect on the image quality of a lens -- other than
allowing the use of more elements and thereby permitting better correction.

Multi-coating has three effects: it lets more light pass through the lens; it
reduces flare and ghosting; it provides additional flexibility in adjusting the
lens's color balance.

"Pentax has the best lens coating technology of any manufacturer. They hold the
basic patents for the most effective MC formulation."

To the best of my knowledge, this is not true. The original MC patents were held
by Optical Coating Laboratories of America (OCLA). Pentax licensed the patents
from them. I know nothing about current patents. Perhaps someone else can fill
us in.