RE: [OM] OM-1's Meter

Subject: RE: [OM] OM-1's Meter
From: "Smoliga.Nick" <SMOLIGA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 08:07:51 -0600
Sean,

I've used two OM1's for many years, stored them intentionally and
unintentionally, in various orientations, and never observed the meter
problem described. Technology is always firmly rooted in a particular period
of time. Good work can be done with simple tools. It's all in the skill
(acquired via diligent, careful study and experiment) of the user. An old
Leica IIg is "nothing to brag about" in comparison to modern technology, but
neither is a 1911 Colt auto-loading pistol. However the FBI recently awarded
a new contract for a new model of that old technology weapon. The FBI,
presumably has skillful users. Olympus has a good system, and it can be used
to take to excellent photographs. Any used equipment  ought to be
scrutinized carefully, checked out by actual use, and serviced after
purchase if there any problems.

Some people get very wrought over the issue of Hg content, usually for
health reasons, or for environmental concerns. There is real functional
issue with the mercury (Hg) battery. I got bad exposures from using modern
1.5V PX625 Hg-free batteries in my OM1's instead of the old 1.35V Hg
batteries. A few months ago, I found some Hg batteries that should last me
for many months, but can't find any more. More recently, I bought, as the
simplest, cheapest cure,  two sets ($10 each) of six 1.35V Zn-Air Varta
batteries and one adapter from:

http://www.olympusguy.com/Lett.htm

Nick Smoliga
SvT TF12 - Investment Projects