Re: [OM] film here or there? was Fast Wide Angles

Subject: Re: [OM] film here or there? was Fast Wide Angles
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 08:46:20 -0600
>Garth, I take my own film along, in a clear zip-lok bag.  Makes it easy to
>present for inspection.  The new translucent film canisters are good (Fuji
>has been that way for some time I understand, Kodak is just figuring it out)
>so its easy to see its really just film in there.  Leave your camera body
>empty.  They like to look inside.  I got zapped that way once - the eager
>inspector popped the back open before I could say a word!  Make it easy for
>them.  If you have a modest amount of film, say less than 10 rolls, stuff it
>in your pockets.  Empty your pockets into the little trays at the metal
>detectors, walk thru and refill your pockets.  Not too awkward if you are
>wearing an overcoat.  I take it you have a reasonable command of French -
>asking in French will help a bunch.

I've used the clear bag approach for many years now with great success,
however, it still isn't foolproof.  On a recent trip the inspector removed
every single roll of film from the film cannester to look at it--and it was
all Fuji film!!!!  The idiot opened the first one and proceeded to grab the
leader to pull the film out.  I yelled "NO!" and caused half the security
detail to jump a few feet into the air.  Overall, the toughest security
I've had to deal with is for flights on commuters here in the USA.  Doesn't
make much sense--I didn't realize that Beech 99's were terrorist targets.

Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography

image66@xxxxxxx
(515) 791-2306