[OM] To its defence again...

Subject: [OM] To its defence again...
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 22:02:17 -0600
>>I've heard that the OM2s are not reliable and that the OM2(n) are getting
>>too old...

Oh, the dilemma of the bodies....

The OM-2S is a camera that utilizes similar electronics and body componants
with the original OM-4.  Both are from the same time period and both suffer
from *slightly* increased battery drain.  The problem with the OM-2S is
that its profit margin was much slimmer than the more costly OM-4.  The
sales of the OM-4, which incorporated multi-spot metering instead of the
program mode in the OM-2S proved to be successful enough for Olympus to end
the decade of dominance by the OM-2 series.

>From a pure usability point of view, the OM-2S is arguably the best OM
made.  It is extremely simple to use with the most complex thing to operate
is the Program-Auto-Manual switch.  There is no On-Off switch as that is
automatic with just a touch of the shutter release.  The program mode
works!  I know that it is heresy to say that you park your brains and let
the camera do the work, but that is exactly what it does.  Just focus and
shoot.

Is the OM-2S unreliable?  What camera isn't?  Every model from every brand
will suffer a type of failure particular to its construction, design or
usage.  The situation with the OM-2S is that a failure of the main circuit
board is considered unrepairable.  The mechanics of the camera are sound
and show no greater or lessor failure rate than any OM body.  Chances are,
if you have an OM-2S that does not have any electronic problems by now, it
may never have any.  The only exception, I know of are the ISO dial
resister contacts, which the OM-2md and OM-2n models also suffer problems
with.  The only mechanical failure I've ever had was with an OM-1, not an
OM-2S.

Is the OM-2S a battery hog?  Compared to what?  A solar powered calculator?
 Get real!  The OM-2S and OM-4 (original, not the T or Ti models), suffer
from a slight increase in battery drain during non-operation.  In 1998 I
went through four sets of batteries in the OM-2S, 5 or 6 sets in the IS-3,
and one mercury cell in the OM-1.  I also went through probably 60 AA
batteries in the flashes and winders and killed a few nicads along the way.
 Compare the cost of the silver-oxide button cells that go in the OM-2S
with the Lithium blobs that go in "modern" cameras.  Compare the lifespan.
The IS-3 is supposed to average 480 exposures per set of batteries.  Upon
looking back at this past year, I don't come anywhere near that!

It is true that flash usage on an OM-2S will drain the batteries in a
hurry.  If the flash-ready light is green inside the viewfinder, it is