Re: [OM] Bounce Grip repair

Subject: Re: [OM] Bounce Grip repair
From: Gary Edwards <edwardsg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 16:13:12 -0600
Just finished repairing the Bounce Grip 2.  We used "Plasti Zap" cyanoacrylate
by Pacer
Technologies (hobby shop - intended for assembling molded plastic model kits).
We
tacked the broken-off piece in place with a few drops of the adhesive.  When
that cured
( a matter of minutes), we applied a small amount of adhesive along the crack
using the
small appplicator tube.  Capilary action drew the adhesive into the crack.  Don
advises
to resist the temptation to use any spray-on CA accelerator, because it will
cure the
adhesive before it can be drawn into the crack.

That said, I will admit that I wouldn't expect a successful structural repair
using
this technique. John Hermanson is right there, but this location is not
stressed in
normal use.  The T-32 doesn't contact the footwell sidewall.  How did it break
in the
first place? Probably dropped, since the T-32 that came with it had a cracked
foot that
I had to have replaced.  Now, if I can avoid catching it with my thumb as it
slips off
the foot thumbwheel, maybe I'll get another 5 years out of it.

Sorry, Don Reichle, I won't be giving up my bottom bracket.  I'll let you know
if I
come across one.

Gary Edwards