Re: [OM] Fast Wide Angles

Subject: Re: [OM] Fast Wide Angles
From: "Glen Lowry" <lowry@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:45:31 -0800
Doris Fang Wrote:

>   I do have three 24s, a 24/2.0, 24/2.8 SC & 24/2.8 MC. I am
>not as wrapped up in the numbers game as the men here seem to be.
>Nor have I run tests of any sort. I just use my lenses. Is there
>visible vignetting (or is it fall-off?) with the 24 at f/2 ? DUH...

Do you use all these lenses?
 (snip)

>   Relax...loosen up. I do not know about the rest of you, but when I
>am shooting at f/2, it's available darkness, Hail-Mary time, and
> rarely is the camera on a tripod.

I hear you.  This is what I was getting at in one of my earlier posts about
not being too concerned with vignetting/fall of.  When I end up indoors
shooting poorly lit events--poetry readings for example--the extra stop is a
huge deal, whereas fall-off often fits the scene--especially w/ B & W.  Of
course I'd like to have as little as possible, my point is simply that when
shooting in the dark I'll take what I can get.

In wanting to know whether or not this lens is sharp, I was most interested
in its performance at the smaller aperatures.  I've got a 24/2.8 (SC old and
well used) that is not quite up to standard for everyday shooting, and was
wondering if the 24/2 was sharper.  Risking sacrilege, however, I might go
on to say that even this lack of contrast can be useful in some cases.

>Has anyone here ever seen results of images taken with a Noctilux f/1.0
>wide open ? You don't know what fall-off is until you've seen some images
>taken with this legendary chunk of glass...

No but I'd like to.

>   Do I think of the 24/2.0 Zuiko as a dog ??? N-O. The moral of this
>story is...don't worry...be happy...a little less A-R...get out and
>take some photographs and see how the lenses work out for you, in your
>own hands and on your own subjects.
>  Remember when everybody did a little edge & corner burning-in on their
>exhibition prints ? :-)

Thanks for the reality check.
Glen