Re: [OM] OM bodies...

Subject: Re: [OM] OM bodies...
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <voop@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 17:01:03 +0200 (CEST)
On 30-Mar-99 OM2spot-program Camera wrote:
> Hi,
> Who tells you that OM2s is not reliable?
> I've got one OM2Sp and it works great, it has TTL flast, spot metering,
> and so many nice features. Try to get one and you will soon please with
> it.
> Before I got the om2sp, I had had an OM20 (G) but then I traded it with
> the current OM2sp. I wish that I had enough money to buy an OM4Ti. But
> anyway, the OM2sp is great.

I completely agree on the stability of the OM2sp. I've been the fortunate owner
of such body for about 10 years now, and I still prefer the OM2sp over my other
cameras - even over the OM4. I have lost count of the number of films I've run
through the OM2SP, and I fear the day (may that day never come) when it breakes
down and cannot be fixed.....

Both OM4 and OM2sp (and OM2n - btw) have nice viewfinder information. I prefer
manual setting of shutter etc., and I prefer actually having information from
the light meeter in the viewfinder - AND that that information corresponds
with the shutter speed and other settings such that I do not have to remove the
eye from the viewfinder to check wheater or not I have put the shutter speed as
reccomended by the meter. I use all three models on regular basis, depending on
the situation (and my mood *grin*)

I also have an OM30 - which I bought just for the curiousity of things (the
focus-aid-stuff). It's a funny body but I find it pratically useless due to the
unfortunate design: where you cannot see the actual setting of the shutter
speed but only the reccomended setting. As far as I know, the whole series
OM10/20/30/40 had that "flaw" - as much as being designed with emphasis on
auto-exposure while neglecting manual settings can be considred a "flaw".

Don't flame me for the above statements. I am merely expressing personal taste
and experiences. I will however like to hear other opinions on information in
viewfinders. Frankly speaking, the - imho perfect - design in the OM2/OM2sp
was a core reason why I initially bought Olympus over the other brands.
Therefore - of course - my experiences are limited to Olympus. Well, except for
a very short time where I owned a Nikon and Canon body...

Mange hilsner / Sincerely

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering