Re: [OM] IS-30 is on sale

Subject: Re: [OM] IS-30 is on sale
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 14:39:48 -0500
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 00:40:37 +0100
 "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> B&H has listed the IS-30 in its web page at $369.95
>
>> Paul Farrar

>Yes, I finally found it. Confirmation that this camera will be sold in
>the US. But... there is no mentioning of the super FP capability! Will
>it be the same as with IS-3 and IS-3000, i.e. same camera but no super
>FP capability in the US version?
I have a Japanese brochure on the IS-30 (in Japan the L-30).  The Super FP flash
can be invoked in the portrait mode with flash activated.  On the L-3 (again a
Japanese brochure), the Super FP flash (i.e. up to 1/2000 sec flash sync) is
possible in the manual and the portrait modes.

I happen to remember that I do have brochures for the IS-3 Dlx and the IS-20.
In the Japanese brochure, it is stated that the L-3 (3000 in Europe) has three
flash modes, Auto, Auto-S (Red-eye reduction), and Fill-in.  After the Fill-In
mode is listed, the Japanese specs give two words, manual flash, super FP flash.
It says the Super FP flash results automatically if you use flash in the
portrait mode.  In the American brochure of the IS-3 Dlx, the fill-in flash is
said to compensate for situations like back- or side-lit subjects.  A portrait
of a blonde against a back-lit grassy area is shown opposite the description.
It almost sounds like it is possible to have super FP flash without mentioning
it explicitly.

The IS-20 brochure states about the Fill-In Flash Mode, "this mode brings a
professional touch to flash photography.  In this mode, the lfash always fires,
even in daylight."  I do not have an equivalent Japanese version of the
brochure.

Is it possible that the L-3/3000/IS-3 are identical, but the circumstances do
not permit mentioning of Super FP flash in the US?

I might add that I could have bought an L-30 for about $330 in Japan since one
camera store in a particular area of Tokyo where my parents live was closing and
they were selling off their inventories.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/