RE: [OM] The OM 2000

Subject: RE: [OM] The OM 2000
From: "Higgins, Michael (Ex AS01)" <MHiggins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 14:28:03 +1000
>How does it compare with the other OM's? Is it advisable to buy a new OM
>2000 or a used OM? How good is the 35-70 f3.5-4.8 lens   (considering

I was faced with the same decision not long ago.  A Jetty that my girlfriend
was standing on collapsed and my OM2n went swimming in Sydney harbour,
leaving me without a body.  (camera body that is, my friend was just fine.)
Given that I had a couple of OM len's lying around the real decision was
between an OM 2000 and another OM?  I chose the OM2000 because after that
experience I wanted a camera that I could easily replace if anything went
wrong with it, and a 2 year warranty.  I love the way it's so light
(especially with the above mentioned lens), and the winder feels soo
smoooth, and the 1/125 flash synch, but don't really like the light
metering, or the fact that you need to take the batteries out to do long
time exposures.  I now have another OM2 but use the OM2000 more, especially
for day time, but the OM2 wins at night.

In short if you want a very basic OM mount camera that you can let your
girlfriend fall in the harbour with, then the OM2000 is for you.  But for
more sophisticated features you would want to look at the other bodies.

Cheers,

Mike