[OM] A PRoduct Information reLease FrOm Our LeaderS

Subject: [OM] A PRoduct Information reLease FrOm Our LeaderS
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 06:43:15 EST
Let me start with a confession. I've been working for Oly Japan for the past 2
years. I am part of a project whose purpose is to re-inject some life into the
OM system. Given that, there is a formal announcement imminent concerning some
new product offerings. I was given permission to give the list a brief (OK,
maybe it's not so brief) preview.

OM-1, OM-1n, OM-2, OM-2n - we will be making available a (fairly large) number
of completely rebuilt OM-1(n)s and OM-2(n)s. In order to accomplish this we
had to commission some short production runs of some no-longer available
parts. In some ways I feel this announcement shows the company's commitment
the most, as these will be sold at a loss. I would expect these beauties to
hit the street with a selling price of 400-550 USD. These bodies are
completely rebuilt. Top and bottom covers have been completely refinished or
replaced, new leatherette, and all have new backs (even the old OM-1s will
have the memo back with the updated film cartridge spring). There is all new
foam, which is a new material that *should* not deteriorate in our lifetimes.
It looks more like a felt than a foam, actually. Each will include the
appropriate hot shoe. These are new shoes, designated Shoe 1n, Shoe 3n, and
Shoe 4n. They are made of a *much* stronger composite material. Stress tests
show that the prism cover dents before the shoe is damaged. These shoes will
be available separately as well. Each camera will be in a new box, with body
cap, new manual and full 1 year warranty. I expect these will sell quickly.
More will be made available as more bodies can be scrounged up. There is
discussion about accepting individual bodies for rebuild and return to a
specific customer, but this has not been decided yet.

Flash - The F280 is no more. It is being replaced by the F400. This is a guide
number 40 flash that looks *alot* like the old T32. It accepts all of the T32
accessories (filters, zoom head) which are being reintroduced on the price
list. It supports full synchro flash (with the appropriate camera, of course).
It includes the extra pins on the hot shoe and TTL connector (now called F-TTL
connector, with 7 pins, to distinguish it from the old T-TTL connector with 5
pins). Working in normal TTL mode this flash is fully compatible with the T
series units, and can be combined for multi-flash setups. It will mount on the
Bounce Grip 2, TTL Auto Connector T20, or can be connected with a new series
of FT-TTL cords which provide an F-TTL (7 pin) connector at one end and a T-
TTL (5 pin) connector at the other. These will be available in the usual
lengths (0.3m, 0.6m, 2m, 5m). There will be a new Bounce Grip 3, which looks
just like the Bounce Grip 2 except it has the extra pins on the hot shoe
connection and an F-TTL connector at the bottom. There will also be a full
line of F-TTL cords (0.3m, 0.6m, 2m, and 5m) and an F-TTL Multi Connector.
Yes, you will be able to use multi-flash with full synchro functionality.
Obviously when used with the older T-series accessories, and the FT-TTL cords,
full synchro capability is not available.

OM-3n, OM-4n - Some upgrades to the OM-3Ti and OM-4Ti  bodies. Both get faster
shutters, with 1/4000 top speed, and 1/250 synch. This is the first horizontal
shutter to achieve these speeds. They will also get F-TTL connectors on the
body, replacing the old T-TTL connector. The OM-4n will be upgraded with the
dark grey finish currently on the OM-3Ti. The OM-3n and OM-4n will retain the
titanium covers.

Now the good stuff...

OM-5: This is the real successor to the OM-3(Ti). In traditional fashion,
being an odd-numbered body, this beauty has an all mechanical shutter, same as
in the OM-3n (1-1/4000, 1/250 synch). It's real claim to fame is the upgraded
OM-E lens mount ("E" for electronic). It will accept all existing Zuiko
lenses, but works most fully with the new "E" series lenses (more on lenses
later...). The "E" lenses provide additional information to the body,
including max aperture, focal length, and extension (focus) settings. It does
this via a set of 7 contacts inside the mount, similar to the old OM AF
lenses. Therefore the OM-5 will (finally) have aperture information in the
viewfinder (with the "E" lenses only, of course).  Looking at the camera, it
looks *very* much like an OM-4. Same spot meter controls, shutter release,
wind lever, and rewind button on the top right. Exposure compensation/ASA dial
around the rewind knob. Mode selector lever (battery check, shutter-priority
auto, and manual positions) in the usual spot. Shutter ring around the lens
mount. The display is very similar to the one in the OM-3,4. It adds an
aperture scale (numbered in full stops from f/1 to f/90). In manual mode the
aperture and shutter speed set are displayed. If the aperture ring is set
between two stops, both apertures are displayed. In shutter priority auto mode
the shutter speed selected is displayed and the bar-graph indicates the
camera-selected aperture. The finder also includes the usual spot-metering
diamonds, OVER and UNDER indicators, flash ready light, and a new ESP
indicator. All modes are available with older Zuiko lenses, except you won't
know the aperture selected. Normal TTL flash is supported, as is full synchro
flash (but only in the manual "guide number" mode). Any existing OM user will
be right at home. A short list of features:

1. Fully overridable DX film speed settings
2. Mirror lockup (finder illumination button has been moved to the front of
the camera, where the rewind knob was on the old OM-1's and -2s)
3. Self timer
4. Double exposure capability (knob around right edge of advance lever)
5. Shutter priority automation
6. Selectable ESP metering
7. Center weighted metering
8. Spot and multi-spot metering
9. Full F-TTL flash capability
10. 7 fps operation with the new motor drive 3 (more on that later)
11. Power takeoff with motor drive 3
12. Includes 2-13 focusing screen (all others useable, of course)
13. All metal construction (expect a "Ti" version eventually)

OM-6: Again, the logical successor to the OM-4(Ti). It has everything the OM-5
does, with the following additions/changes:

1. Fully electronic shutter
2. aperture priority (OTF) and Program exposure (also OTF)
3. NO mirror lockup...

Again, the controls will be familiar. They are, in fact, identical to the OM-5
with the exception of the extra positions on the mode selector switch, and the
deletion of the mirror lockup lever.

E-Mount lenses: I already talked a little about the new lens mount. These
lenses *will* work on the old bodies. They have the usual focusing rings,
aperture rings, and stop-down levers. Initially the following lenses will be
available. those marked with an "*" are new optical designs. The others are
essentially unchanged optically from the originals. All are MC, of course.

18/3.5
21/2.8*
24/2.8
24/3.5 Shift
35/2.8
35/2.8 Shift
40/2*
50/1.4
50/1.8
50/3.5 Macro
85/2
100/2.8
135/2.8
180/2.8*
200/4
300/4.5
300/6.3*
400/6.3
24-70/2.8-3.5*
35-80/2.8
80-200/2.8*
70-210/3.5-4.5*

More lenses will be introduced in time. Expect most of the old lenses
(including the f/2 wides and the big teles) eventually.

Miscellaneous accessories:

Motor Drive 3: Faster and lighter. Takes the old NiCad and pistol grip control
packs for 5fps operation. Also accepts a new 24v NiMh Control Pack 1 for
operation up to 7 fps with the OM-5 and OM-6 (only). Works to 5 fps on the
older bodies. Provides power rewind on the OM-3,4,5,6 just like the MD 2. One
nice new feature: when mounted on the OM-5 and OM-6 the camera is powered by
the motor drive's batteries.  Either this unit or the Winder 3 (below) are
required for full capabilities with the Recordata back 5

Winder 3: 2.5 fps, 4AA batteries... and power take-off with the OM-5,6.
Automatic advance to frame 1 for cameras that support that functionality. Also
needed to get full use of the Recordata back 5.

Focusing screens: New 2-series screen: 2-10 (with grid), 2-11 (with
crosshairs), 2-14 (diagonal split/prism)

Recordata back 5: Calendar works until 2040... when used with the OM-5 or OM-6
and MD 3 or Winder 3, this back memorizes frame information for a roll
(shutter speed, aperture, exposure compensation, focal length) and records it
all on frame zero during rewind (I think the Contax AX does something
similar). It can also function as a traditional data back, recording date/time
info or a custom code on the frame.

I think Oly has been very successful here in moving the system forward (at
least into the '90's if not the '00's) while minimizing R&D costs. There isn't
a lot that is very new here - even the E lenses derive from the old OM AF
technology in many ways.

I'll let you know more as soon as they let me. I hope you all have a happy
April Fool's Day! (and I sincerely hope April Fool's Day is observed in all
the countries represented on this list...)

Paul (switching out of "wishful thinking" mode) Schings
Coventry, RI