[OM] Minimum Studio set up

Subject: [OM] Minimum Studio set up
From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 10:29:10 -0500
Wayne et al.,

I like the natural room setting myself.  However, my friend might like some
pieces isolated on seamless canvas (muslin) to have no distractions in the
picture and show different aspects of the furniture.  Sort of like Baloogs
(sp?) "sterile" settings of endangered animals.

I was afraid that using flash might be difficult to control. Has anyone on
this list tried using three TTL controlled (OM) flashes, all indirect or
with bounce reflectors/balloon diffusors) to create "natural" looking
situations with soft shadows?

As for photofloods, I do have one light stand with silver reflector for a
250 W photoflood, but then I run into color temperature problems, if I mix
natural and photoflood light.  Should I use Tungsten film and not worry
about some natural (cold) light?  Is there a Tungsten color negative film?

Jan

=========
From: Wayne Harridge <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [OM] Minimum Studio set up

First of all, think about the effect you wish to achieve.  The most enticing
furniture advertisements I have seen have been in a "natural" room setting
with "natural" light.  "Natural" meaning that it looked like a real room in
available light, it may not have been.

Unless you can visualise exactly what the effect of 3 flashes will be -
forget it, you have too many variables to consider, e.g. lighting ratios,
where shadows fall, specular reflections.  Unless you have modelling lights,
or take polaroids you will have virtually no control over the result.
Can you use natural light, maybe a few reflectors to fill in where needed ?
Do you have access to photofloods ?