[OM] Lens Test: 28mm f/3.5 Zuiko

Subject: [OM] Lens Test: 28mm f/3.5 Zuiko
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 03:33:06 EST
Comments follow:

28mm f/3.5 Zuiko (single-coated)
Vignetting = B-@f/4, B@f/5.6, B+@f/8
Distortion = moderate barrel
Aperture  Center    Corner
f/3.5     C+        C
f/5.6     B         A-
f/8       A-        A
f/11      B+        B
f/16      B+        B
Note: Low contrast image at f/16, f/11, f/4, although high resolution of high
contrast details at center of field; moderate contrast at mid apertures;
optimum at f/8.

This has always been my least favorite Zuiko and I now know why.  [BTW, this
isn't my infamous "former" lens]  While capable of decent images, only f/8 is
pro caliber.  Performance falls off either side of f/8, although moderate
contrast is held at f/5.6  Especially troubling is the lack of contrast at
f/16, f/11, and f/4.  Images are downrate flat and easily the poorest of any
Zuiko tested to date.

PCA Cala
PC Applications Forums