[OM] Lens Test: 55mm f/1.2 Zuiko (a sleeper)

Subject: [OM] Lens Test: 55mm f/1.2 Zuiko (a sleeper)
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 03:47:05 EST
Comments follow:

55mm f/1.2 Zuiko (single-coated)
Vignetting = B@f/1.2, A-@f/2
Distortion = slight barrel
Aperture  Center    Corner
f/1.2     C+        B-
f/2       B         B-
f/2.8     B-        B
f/4       B+        B+
f/5.6     B+        A-
f/8       A-        A
f/11      A-        A-
f/16      A-        A-
Note: Very even performance across apertures, makes this a good choice as a
general purpose normal lens.  Moderate contrast with high resolution, except
very low contrast at f/1.2.  Low levels of vignetting are remarkable.
Predominately yellow lens coating seems primitive by modern standards.

For those into the 55mm fast wide angles, this makes a smart choice, although
the 50mm f/2 does too.  The big question mark is flare and I'll try and do a
comparison of flare in some 50mm lenses and the infamous "low flare" 35mm f/2
Zuiko.  Very usable at f/2 and f/2.8.  I can't explain the SQF value drop in
the center at f/2.8, even though I double-checked it. Given its bad rap, I'd
have to call this lens a "sleeper."  I like it.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV