Re: [OM] A PRoduct Information reLease FrOm Our LeaderS

Subject: Re: [OM] A PRoduct Information reLease FrOm Our LeaderS
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 13:14:41 +0200
Paul wrote on 1st of April:

> wind lever, and rewind button on the top right. Exposure compensation/ASA dial
> around the rewind knob.

Hope the exp. comp. dial is bigger than the one of the OM-4,3(Ti), more like
the old OM-2(n) one. Is there an independend exp. comp. dial for flash
photography?

> know the aperture selected. Normal TTL flash is supported, as is full synchro
> flash (but only in the manual "guide number" mode).

And what about the build in spot-flashmeter, working with all types of
flash (like in RTSIII, R8)?

This would have been an very valuable addition, especialy for the macro
enthusiasts.

What happend to guide number controlled flash photography (flashmatic)?
For what else could the focal length information (OM-E) be used?

> 3. Self timer

Honestly, I never known why an selftimer is such an important feature,
nearly every camera has one. I never use them, exept for mirror and
aperture prefire.
(For the users of OM-3(Ti) in dire need of an self timer, there are
mechanical ones, to screw in to the cable release)

> 4. Double exposure capability (knob around right edge of advance lever)

Good thing, but it violates the OM law: Thou shall not have more than
one exposure per frame. ;-)

> 5. Shutter priority automation

With an mechanical shutter camera? How ingenious. Does it work like the
shutter priority addon for the F2? (or was it the F1?) ;-)

> 21/2.8*

What happened to the 2.0 and 3.5 versions? Is the new lens bigger than
the 3.5? This would be inacceptable, because there is the 2.0
alternative.

> 50/1.4
> 50/1.8
> 50/3.5 Macro
> 85/2
> 100/2.8

What happend to the 85mm/1.4 GRIN lens? Shouldn´t Olympus introduce an
50mm/1.2 GRIN too?

> 300/6.3*

Isn´t this a little bit slow lens, especialy when handholding under
lightning conditions different to the one in California? I mean, does
the sun shine realy that more intensive in England than in Germany?

> More lenses will be introduced in time. Expect most of the old lenses
> (including the f/2 wides and the big teles) eventually.

Why are the top 2.0 lenses late with OM-E?

> packs for 5fps operation. Also accepts a new 24v NiMh Control Pack 1 for

I´m very sceptic about the virtues of NiMh cells. What about Lithium ion
cells (You know, Laptop napalm)?

> Recordata back 5: Calendar works until 2040...

Only 40 years! Is it, because silicon will then have replaced film?

> I'll let you know more as soon as they let me. I hope you all have a happy
> April Fool's Day! (and I sincerely hope April Fool's Day is observed in all
> the countries represented on this list...)

Oh no! You tricked me! I believed all you wrote until this sentence! ;-)

Yesterday someone has reported, that Imagtek (you know, the digital
"film") has started to ship there product, probably also for OM cameras.

Sincerely

Richard