Re: [OM] OM-4 or 4t

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4 or 4t
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 12:54:49 -0600
At 10:05 PM 03/04/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I need a little advice.  I was out today and looked at both an OM=4 and 4t.
>I want another body to go with (replace? back up?) my Om-1n and I like the
>option of having spot meter.  But I've heard a number of people say that the
>Om-4 is plagued with battery/electrical problems and that it is unreliable.
>The two bodies I saw were in good shape, but the 4t was quite expensive.
>
>What I need to know is, to begin with, whether the OM-4 is a good camera.
>Or should I keep looking for a 2s?  Also is the 4t a significant improvement
>over the 0M-4?  Should I spend the extra cash?
>
>As I've already heard a couple of views on the issue, I realise that this is
>somewhat of a loaded question.  But I'd like to  hear from some of you are
>still using OM-4s.  Bottom line is that while I don't really want to throw
>my money away on a lemon, I do like the features the electronic camera has
>to offer.
>
>Glen

Glen:

I bought my OM-4 the first year it was released in the mid-80s.  I have *never*
had any problems with it, but then, I also take care of it.  (I'm of the school
that says it's designed to take photos, not to be used as a rock hammer...).
I've never noticed what I'd call "excessive" battery drain problems.  Leave 'em
in for six months without using 'em, and sure, they're drained.  But they seem
to drain in almost the same period of time with moderate-to-medium use, so
who's to say whether this is "excessive"?

Garth