[OM] Pop Photo & Pop OM1s (Was Pop Photo comment)

Subject: [OM] Pop Photo & Pop OM1s (Was Pop Photo comment)
From: Dave Bulger <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 03:48:10 -0500
John,

How funny!  I'm just about to package up my sick OM1n and sent it to ya for
repair.  Your note has me reconsidering... I can get a good deal on an AE-1
these days... <g>

Seriously -- my beloved OM1n decided to get ill yesterday.  Symptoms: the
metering needle in the viewfinder was wacky -- sitting at the one stop
underexposure setting when the meter was off and pinned at the high
overexposure setting when the meter was on.  Neither the aperture setting
nor the shutter speed setting had any effect on the needle's position
regardless of the lighting conditions.  I removed the battery for a few
minutes and then replaced it -- no change in symptoms.  I set the SS to B
and this appeared to reset the meter -- the needle now sits in the usual
places when the meter is on/off, and the SS setting affects the needle in
the usual way, moving it up or down according to the shutter speed sent.
 However, changing the aperture on the lens does not -- no effect on the
meter reading.  I tried this with multiple lenses with the same results,
eliminating the lens as the culprit.

Is this an easy/common problem that will be fixed during a CLA (the body is
due) or something terminal (no!)?  I know it's difficult to tell without
seeing the body itself, but I want to get some indication of how hard I
should worry...

TIA!

Dave