Re: [OM] Vision Age - April 2nd

Subject: Re: [OM] Vision Age - April 2nd
From: Bill_J._Rice_at_RLT012@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 09:37:05 -0500
I did a little homework regarding shipping costs for posting VisionAge to
the US.  While I'm not sure how David plans to post these (David, maybe
your can fill us in on this),  I assumed that we would like to have them as
soon as possible so I checked into shipping costs at the Royal Airmail &
Parcel*Force websites.

Most of us ordered full sets or close to it.  As David mentioned, bulk
shipping would be the best option. On the average, each issue of VisionAge
weighs 158g.  A full set weighs about 3Kg.  Bulk shipping 7-8 full sets (a
25Kg package) via Parcel*Force would cost about $200.  Divided among 7-8
persons it's ~$25-29 per person. Redistribution costs in the US would vary
greatly depending on location.  A worst case scenario would be shipping
from coast to coast; about $8.75 for UPS.  So worst case total costs for
those who ordered a full set would be about  $29 + 8.75 = $37.75.  As a
reference, shipping a 3Kg package directly to any address in the US via
Parcel*Force would cost about US$47.85.  So savings would be *at least*
$10.00.  Once again, a worst case estimate, actual costs will probably be
lower.  Also, those of us who ordered between a full set and 12 issues
(myself included) may want to join (if those who ordered a full set can
wait for us) in the bulk shipment because total shipping costs for all
would further be reduced.  For those of you who ordered less than 12
issues, read on.

By far, Royal Mail has the best prices for shipping to the US, however
their limit is 2Kg.  A 2Kg Airmail package costs 16.19 UKP (US$26.71).  I
didn't look into other options since the delivery times were in the 6-8
week range!  At 158g/issue, you can fit about 11 issues in a 2Kg package
including packing materials.  A 400g package (2 issues) is only US$5.63.
Since only a few of you ordered a few issues, this may be your best option.

Again, this is what it would cost if we decide we need them ASAP (as is the
case with most Zuikoholics. :-)).  Surface shipment would definitely cost
much less but could take much longer.  I am by no means an expert in how to
ship things across the big pond but I was curious with how much it may cost
and I figured some of you would be interested in what I learned.

Bill Rice
Chicago, IL