Re: [OM] OM-1 battery fix

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1 battery fix
From: Joshua_Putnam <josh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 07:24:23 -0700 (PDT)
Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>(b) The above price refers to "miniature, hearing aids" batteries.  These
>    are NOT suitable for the OM-1/1N. The PX625 replacement Wein zinc-air
>    cells cost around US$4-6 apiece.

Zinc-air hearing aid batteries are available in a number of
sizes, and the largest ones will work with most cameras that were
designed for mercury cells.  The sizes for hearing aids are color
coded, and blue cells are the same size as 675 cells, 11.6mm
diameter x 5.35mm thick -- a simple O-ring will keep them
centered in a battery compartment designed for 625 cells.
They're around $5 for a card of 4.  I've used them in an
emergency with my OM-1, when I forgot to carry a spare battery.

>I just got a new shipment of factory fresh, sealed, Varta (Germany)
>made PX625's, which I am happy to sell to members of this list for US$5
>apiece, plus shipping at cost.

While I'm certainly not going to cause trouble, and I doubt any
fellow Zuikoholic would snitch, it is a violation of federal law
to import or sell those cells in the U.S. -- I've known a couple
of people who mail-ordered some from Canada and had them seized by
U.S. Customs.

--

 Josh@xxxxxxxxxxxx  is  Joshua Putnam / P.O. Box 13220 / Burton, WA 98013
                       "My other bike is a car."