Re: [OM] Zuiko 85-250 vs Canon 70-200L (surpise?)

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 85-250 vs Canon 70-200L (surpise?)
From: GPaul64@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 10:21:50 EDT
Hi folks,

While I have been always been quite satisfied with the attributes and
advantages of my OM bodies over the latest autofocus pro cameras, I have been
less comfortable with the aging line of Zuiko lenses compared with the latest
from the C/N line.  The biggest gap, as I saw it, was the lack of a modern
70/80-200 zoom incorporating the latest low dispersion glass technology.

Over the years, I have acquired every Zuiko zoom in this range (with the
exception of the latest Cosina offering) and have come to my own conclusion
that the 85-250 is the sharpest, at around 200mm, f/11.  This includes, as
you suspect, the 65-200, the 50-250, and, incidentally, a 70-210 2.8/4.0
Series 1 Vivitar.

Having finally culled the sharpest Zuiko zoom from the bunch, I still
wondered what I was missing - how would the performance of this 20-year old
plus design compare at optimum aperture to the latest and greatest from
Canon?  The 70-200L is purported to be the finest example in its class, and
at a retail of about $1700, damn well should be.

So, I rented a combo of an EOS 1-N and the 70-200L, and tested it
side-by-side against my OM-4 and 85-250.  Both were mounted on my Bogen 3221
and Arca-Swiss B-1.  Exposure at about 1/30 and f/11, which should be near
optimum for both lenses.   10-second delay used on my OM-4, and 2-second
shutter delay on the EOS, per the suggestion of the manual, to minimize
mirror and hand vibration in lieu of a cable release.  Subject was a wooded
mountainside about 1/10 mile away,   with details too small to be seen
unaided.  Focal length set as equal as possible to 200mm, which was the limit
for the Canon lens.  Film was velvia for both.  Results were examined using a
Peak 7x loupe, in addition to a 75x microscope (cheap-o).

And the winner is:

(gulp)

-- a draw---   (!!)

I honestly could see no measurable, significant difference between the two
chromes, either using the 7x or the 75x microscope.  I have looked at the
results several times, and have the same conclusions.

So, are these results credible?  What do you all think of the test
conditions?  Is it really possible that this 20-year old Zuiko could hold its
own against the flagship lens from Canon?

Regards,

Greg Logiodice
Nyack, NY

PS - I should mention the possibility that my particular 85-250 lens may be a
cut above the norm - I acquired it from the good list member John Gardner who
also lauded it's sharpness.