Re: [OM] Zuiko 85-250 vs Canon 70-200L (surpise?)

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 85-250 vs Canon 70-200L (surpise?)
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 11:17:37 -0700
Greg;

Thanks for doing this test. I love the results, and it confirms my
suspicions of the new 'glass' (which many times ain't!).

The only 'quibble' I could see about the test is that the Canon was
operating at it's long limit which is traditionally the worst performing
area of a zoom (see, eg, the recent test results of the IS-3 zoom I
posted.)  While the Zuiko was operating at an intermediate setting.

But I'm not surprised that the 85-250 performed so well. I added one to
my collection about a year ago and, while I haven't done any tests, it
appears to be a very good lens indeed.  I have a 65-200 which I bought
new around 1982 which I should do an A/B against sometime.  But I note
that you say the 85-250 is better than either the 65-200 or the 50-250.
The latter surprises me since the lore is that the 50-250 is the best
Zuiko zoom ever, excepting of course the 35-80/2.8.  Can you elaborate
on your comparisons between the 85- and the 50-250?

George

PS: I'm anxiously awaiting Gary Reese' test of an 85-250

GPaul64@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi folks,

<SNIP>