RE: [OM] Interesting week in the land of the unpayed

Subject: RE: [OM] Interesting week in the land of the unpayed
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 16:54:49 -0400
Ken,
I don't know if I can help with the studio input too much.  I've only
worked with folks doing the studio stuff, I'm not that creative and
methodical to do that on a constant basi, but I can give you some
background on newspapers.
I started out as one of two photographers of the county daily paper in a
small town in Illinois.  Circulation was ~5000.  We covered it all, wrecks,
tornadoes, groups at the bowling alley, this and that board meeting.
 Always going, always busy.  One night, when the county fair was going full
blast, I met myself coming in the door as I was leaving to go out and take
some more photos of blue ribbon 4H whatevers.  But, it was fun.
When I went to college, I was the photographer on the college daily paper.
 Not as much with the wrecks, but more political stuff.  Got some great
photos of Barry Goldwater running for president  (does that date me?),
crawled under the train and shut up into the crowd.  Goldwater stopped for
a while and talked to me about the neat perspective, and I was on Cloud 9!
Are you ready for some football?!!  and basketball and baseball and ....
because you'll be covering all those sports, at night and getting it all
ready for tomorrow's paper, tonight.  Even when its raining and snowing
and...
But geez, is it fun, and hard.  I chose to go a different path than
photography for a vocation, but I sure miss that part of it.

If the income's good and everything else feels right, maybe it's the thing
for you.  Sounds like there could be some additional "diversion" with
Photoshop, etc.  That could help.  The big thing is, WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO
WHEN YOU GROW UP?  We all face it, well most of us do.  Try to do what you
like, especially if you are getting paid well for it.  If you've got a
talent, think seriously about using it for employment.  Also consider that
you might also lose your hobby.

Good luck,
Brian Huber