RE: [OM] Zuiko 85-250 vs Canon 70-200L (surpise?)

Subject: RE: [OM] Zuiko 85-250 vs Canon 70-200L (surpise?)
From: "Angel Lobo Caballero" <angel.lobo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 12:57:12 +0200

----------
> For the 85-250 Zuiko, I have my 85 and 135mm length results posted at:
> http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm
> Gary Reese
> Las Vegas, NV

Hi Gary.

All we know your big work and economical effort on your tests.
I think these are a great opportunity for everybody of extend the knowledge
of our prefered lenses.
You share your work with all the members of the List and, in general, with
all the people on Internet; you bring us your results, results that we can
not found in any book or magazine, and besides this is the evaluation of a
big expert on this matter, and... these results are free.

Gary, you know long time ago my opinion about your tests, but you know too
my way of thinking concerning the differents focal lehghts on your tests on
a zoom lens. If we have the Zuiko fixed lenses focal lenghts as
fundamentals, I think a zoom must be tested at these focal lenghts and at
the beginnin and end. This thing allow to compare and choose.

For instance: the zoom 75 - 150  f 4 (very commom on our hands), or the 85
f 2 + 100 2.8 + 135 3.5. all with 49mm filter.  For me, the test of 75mm
and 150 mm have less interest. Is perfect to know these results, but are in
second plane.All we know  that in general, the first and last focal lenghts
on a zoom are the worse values,(not always!), but the fundamentals are 85,
100 and 135.

We wellcome now your tests of one of the most loved zooms in the Olympus
catalogue (long time in the hands of a lot of Zuiko users), the zoom 85 -
250 f 5.
We ´re long time waiting this test and I think this zoom (as a brother for
me) deserves a test more wide, including 85, 100, 135, 200 ... and 250 mm
f.length.

Some months ago you tell me your reasons for test the lenses at first,
central and last focal lenght.  I bear in mind these reasons, but I´m still
thinking that this " ! Z O O M ! " deserves a more full test. (it´s a great
opportunity).

While the conversation on this matter goes on, ( as a personal favor, Gary
):   Can you test this zoom at 100 and 200 mms too ?

I guess this zoom includes the best 200 mms of Zuiko.

And the 85 and 135 mms of the zoom 75-150 ?

Thanks a lot one more time.

Ángel Lobo
CUENCA (Spain)

P.S:   What do you think about the contribuition of other List members to
the cost of your tests?

 We can not to exact, but we can suggest, collaborate and be grateful for
your hard work.