[OM] Life is good with an OM4T

Subject: [OM] Life is good with an OM4T
From: "Ron Crabtree" <crabtree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 21:31:27 -0600
I got several replies concerning my experience using an Om4T in slot
canyons, i.e. the need for long metered time exposures in changing light
conditions.  One writer astutely corrected me.  I have used the Om4T spot
meter to take a reading on a neutral area of the scene and used this to make
the exposure.  I had assumed that the OTF meter system would adjust the
exposure within the spot area if necessary as light conditions changed, but
this is not the case.  Once the spot meter is used, it creates an exposure
lock.  Fortunately in the situation of slot canyons, the change in light
conditions usually involves the appearance or disappearance of a light beam
and does not change the overall exposure of the neutral areas.  I guess I
was lucky.  I think that if I used the averaging meter, the super high
contrast scene would be incorrectly exposed.  As for the ability of an OM2
to make longer time exposures than the Om4T, I do not know.

Ron Crabtree
Santa Fe, NM