[OM] 300mm f4.5 lockup

Subject: [OM] 300mm f4.5 lockup
From: "Ron Crabtree" <crabtree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 22:20:18 -0600
Hello all,

I used to be the proud owner of a Zuiko 300mm f4.5  It was an incredible
lens, but a bit slow for my wildlife work.  I used it 2 years ago in
Churchill to shoot polar bears in sub-zero temps.  All of the sudden, the
focusing mechanism froze(?literally?) completely and I could not move it.
Since it was the only telephoto I had with me at the time, I forced the
focusing ring until it finally loosened up.  The lens worked OK afterwards,
but had problems with the aperture ring sticking from then on and I sold it.
I would like to get another one for lightweight backpacking trips(it was
sure a lot lighter than a 300mm f2.8!!), but wonder if anyone knows what may
have happened to make it lock up.  I wonder if the lens lubricant froze(it
really was that cold!!), or maybe condensation got into the mechanism and
formed ice.  I wonder if an internal focusing lens would avoid this problem.

Ron Crabtree
Santa Fe, NM