Re: [OM] 350mm f2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] 350mm f2.8
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 20:35:21 EDT
Ron writes:

< As far as I know, the Sigma is the only available long FAST lens made for OM
anymore. >

So are the Zuikos: 180mm f/2, 250mm f/2, and 350mm f/2.8.  Olympus even had
the latter at the PMA show here in Vegas a few months back.  Add the Tamron
300mm f/2.8 LD IF in Adaptall 2 mount.

Regarding lenses marked "APO," you might be falling for advertising here.
Sigma muscled in on the super telephoto market by hypeing that term.  Many
lensed designed in the 1980's before that Sigma move were apo's but didn't
have it in bold letters on the barrel and in the ads.  It's a technical term
and the public generally falls asleep over technical terms - until a
marketing guru successfully exploits it.  The Symmar-S vs. Symmar Apo lenses
for view cameras is a great example of no change in design, just name.

Lens manufacturers play fast and loose with the apochromatic term.  That has
been discussed in the popular camera monthlies.  For example, at what
focusing distance are they claiming apochromatic correction?  The 250mm f/2
Zuiko is an apo.  The 180mm f/2 and 350mm f/2.8 are nearly so.  Olympus uses
the weasel wording: "virtually insignificant proportions."

Gary writes:

<< Before you send it back to KEH, any chance you could send it to Gary Reese
for testing?  Be interesting to know if it really is that bad. >>

Alas, we have one waiting in the wings for testing.  Just a matter of me
laying off lens testing long enough to send out the test map, or me traveling
to the city where it is.  Likewise on the 250mm f/2.  What I don't have
located and waiting is a 180mm f/2.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV