RE: [OM] ** FILTERS **

Subject: RE: [OM] ** FILTERS **
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 10:41:10 -0400
Bob,
As I've always understood it:
1. Using no filter gives the best optical result.
2. 2nd choice (1st for many of us when we think of damage to lens and
consequences) would be to use a multicoated filter.
3. 3rd choice would be a non-multicoated filter.  Quality of filter
(manufacturer) would also be important.  Glass isn't just necessarily
glass.  How flat it is, small defects, color consistency, mounting (is it
plane?) can be contributing factors.

The reason to use a multicoated filter would be that internal reflections
are kept to minimum.  Each time a new optical surface is introduced, a new
reflection (or two) is created.  There have been volumes written about
this.  I'm sure others on this list can give much more detail in better
form than I.

Brian Huber